Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Yummy Black beans and rice!


I topped myself tonight for black beans and rice. It's a meal that the kids like and we do too.

I made an Adobo Spanish rice according to the package- nothing fancy...

I heated a little olive oil (about 2 tsp) in a pan with a lid. When the oil began to shimmer, I added in 3 cubes of frozen garlic and about 1 C. of diced onion. I sauteed the onion for 3 minutes until they began to brown a little. I added a good couple shakes of Adobo seasoning, a couple pinches of ground pepper and a bay leaf. I found chicken sausage at the market yesterday and added in 4 links to the pan. I let those brown for about 5 minutes and added in 2 cans of black beans. I stirred the beans around until everything was incorporated, then I added in a can of petite diced tomatoes with jalapenos.

I turned the heat to medium low, covered the pan and let everything cook for about 35 minutes. I added in a handful of roughly chopped cilantro and the juice from 1/2 a lime.

While the beans were cooking, I boiled some corn and made a little compound butter with butter, cayenne pepper, chopped cilantro and lime which I smeared on the corn.

The kids ate the rice and surprisingly the beans. I wasn't sure they would eat it with the tomatoes and cilantro, but they did just fine. They would not however eat the sausage...

No comments: