Monday, January 28, 2008

Turkey meatballs 2 ways


Another cooooold night here. I had some leftover ground turkey and had a little time to make meatballs. These are very healthy and versatile. I put the turkey in a bowl and added 1/4 C. of egg whites, about 1/4 C. breadcrumbs, 2 cubes frozen garlic, 3 cubes frozen parsley, a good pinch of salt and pepper. I mushed it all together with my hands and proceeded to roll small (about the circumference of a quarter, maybe a little bigger) meatballs.

While I rolled the meatballs, I heated a little olive oil (about 2 tbs) in a large nonstick pan on medium high heat. As soon as the oil was hot, I added a bunch of the meatballs to the pan and browned on all sides. Add enough so that they don't touch and are not squished together. Let them get good and brown on the outside- DON'T rush this part. It takes about 15 minutes. Shake the pan around every so often so they roll around and brown on all sides.

When they are browned, remove them from the pan- they will NOT be cooked through.

I make a yummy soup with these, and it's so simple.

Add 2 boxes of chicken stock to a pot and let come to a boil. Peel and finely chop 3 carrots and 3 stalks of celery. Add to the soup. Add in a bunch of the meatballs and let it come to a quiet boil for at least 30 minutes.

In another smaller pot, boil water and once boiling, add in 1 C. of tiny star shaped pasta ( I believe it is called Pastina), or ditalini if you can't find the other. Cook until al dente and add to soup. Don't add the cooked pasta in too early as it will get a little mushy.

The other thing you can do with the meatballs of course is cook them in some tomato sauce and eat them with pasta. They are so flavorful and so much healthier than beef.

No comments: