Friday, January 11, 2008

Vietnamese food in NYC


Went into New York today and it was R-A-I-N-Y!!

I was in Soho and stumbled upon one of my most favorite types of food in the whole world- Vietnamese/Thai food. It's called BUN, and it's on 143 Grand Street. I went for a late lunch and had a delicious spring roll with shrimp, carrots, fresh mint and basil, and a peanut sauce.

It was so yummy that I got a bun to take home. Bun is the name for a noodle dish they serve with a variety of different toppings. It starts with thin cellophane noodles with shredded lettuce, carrot, scallions and fresh basil and mint leaves. The toppings I got were grilled shrimp, pork and lamb meatballs. It is served with a sweet and vinegary dressing that you pour on when you're ready to eat.

I brought this home on the train and took the girls to Elvira's, our local deli. One got cheese pizza, the other got a hamburger patty and fries.

By the way, they each tried a bite of the fish, and Emma even asked for another bite, which totally surprised me! The philosophy really does work of having your kids try little bites of everything.

A while ago they ordered the Betty Crocker Cake decorator which they had been seeing commercials for on TV. I told them they could use their allowance to order it, and they did. It arrived today and they were so excited! There is nothing like using your own money to buy something and the anticipation of waiting for its arrival!

No comments: