Sunday, January 13, 2008

Hoisin glazed steak stir fry


The threat of snow is before us, and everyone was at the market today!

I bought some steak for stir fry, (which is just thinly sliced steak), sliced mushrooms, onion, and some ingredients for chili and salad. I also bought some oxtails to make soup.

I will quickly tell you the oxtail soup, which I normally love, turned out flavorless and dull- so I threw it out!

I made a stir fry by adding a little oil to a hot pan. I sliced a 1/2 an onion thinly and added that to the pan and let it cook for 2-3 minutes. I added in the sliced mushrooms and a handful of julienned bamboo shoots ( I had a can laying around the pantry) which I cooked for another minute. Before removing those from the pan, I added a little soy sauce.

I removed the veggies from the pan, and added in the sliced steak and 2-3 tbs. of hoisin sauce. I cooked the steak for about 3 minutes. The steak cooks really quickly and once it was cooked through, I added it to the plate of stir fry.

The kids HATED it!!! I made them each try a bite, which they did with scrunched up faces and noises too.

Emma said she was making her own dinner. I said fine, what was she planning to make? She made thinly sliced toast, washed a peach and had a little peanut butter.

I guess the upshot from tonight is that my kids were crafty about coming up with their own plan for dinner.

No comments: