Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Tacos and wafer cakes


We had a really nice family meal tonight. It was so good because there was no whining or complaining, but smiles and lots of talking.

I share a carpool with a friend and it was her turn to drive today. While they were at gymnastics, I made soft tacos with lean ground beef.

I also made more of the broiled boneless, skinless chicken thighs which we enjoyed the other night.
For those of you who missed the recipe, I rinsed boneless, skinless chicken thighs. I turned the oven to broil and lined a cookie sheet with foil. I placed the chicken on the sheet and drizzled a little olive oil over them. I them sprinkled some Adobo seasoning and a little garlic salt and pepper to the thighs. I moved the oven rack to the top 1/3 of the oven and broiled the chicken thighs for about 18 minutes. They were tender and very flavorful.

We grated some cheddar cheese, thinly sliced some lettuce and reheated the leftover Spanish rice from the other night. I also warmed up some flour tortillas in the oven that I wrapped in foil so that they would stay soft.

I had chicken tacos and the girls loved their beef tacos. Generally I use 90% lean ground sirloin when I make tacos, as any leaner and they would dry out. Because you add a little water to the taco seasoning, it helps keep the beef moist.

The girls made a whipped cream and chocolate wafer cake yesterday at their MLK camp. We ate this for dessert and it was surprisingly good. From what I gathered, they layered whipped cream with chocolate wafer cookies into little disposable loaf pans, and let sit overnight in the refrigerator.

I gave the girls the option of fish sticks or shrimp for tomorrow night, they both chose fish sticks, so I will share my quick homemade fish stick recipe with you for tomorrow.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Do you use a packet of Taco seasoning or make your own?

Time to Eat! said...

I bought a taco seasoning.