Sunday, January 27, 2008

Garlicky swiss chard and mustard seed carrots


I worked this weekend and we had an early dinner with our dear friends up the street. It's something that I really enjoy doing. A meal always feels special to me when it is shared with people I love.

We did our usual, bring what ever is in the fridge and we'll make something out of it. I brought some rainbow Swiss chard, some shrimp, and a bag of shredded carrots. I made some garlickly Swiss chard which is both delicious and very easy.

Heat a large nonstick pan on high, add either frozen garlic cubes or garlic paste- a good amount (4 cubes or a tbs.) Wash and chop the chard. When the oil begins to sizzle, add the chard to the pan and saute for 6 minutes or until the stem pieces have become soft and the leaves have cooked down. Add a pinch of kosher salt and pepper. Serve.

My friend turned me on to mustard seeds and I decided to saute the shredded carrots in some olive oil and mustard seeds. Basically, heat a little oil in a large nonstick pan and add in a couple tbs. of mustard seeds, when they start to pop, add in the shredded carrots and saute for about 8 minutes or until the carrots have become soft. Add a pinch of salt and sugar and serve. I think this might be one of my new favorite side dishes.

My kids wouldn't touch the carrots, but her kids ate it- go figure!!!

No comments: