Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Sweet and sour peanut butter sandwiches...

Today was a full day and we got home late from Chess club tonight. I let the girls watch a cartoon while I set about making sweet and sour pork. I had bought a Sweet and Sour seasoning mix by Sun Bird. The directions were easy:

Combine:
1 1/2 lbs. boneless thinly cut pork strips ( I only used 1 lb.)
1/4 C. water
1/4 C. soy sauce
1/4 C. corn starch

Marinate the pork for 5 minutes in the mixture

While the pork marinated, I cubed a red pepper, an onion, a zucchini and I sliced a handful of carrots on the diagonal.

I heated 1 tbs. peanut oil and added in the onions, carrots and pork. I let it cook for 5 minutes, then added in the zucchini and pepper. I let the mixture cook for 3 more minutes, then combined:

1 tbs. cornstarch
1/4 C. sugar
1/4 C. Katsup
1 1/2 C. water
Sweet and sour seasoning mix

I whisked the mixture together then added it to the stir fry. I turned the heat down to low and let the mixture simmer for 5 minutes until it thickened up. I added a can of drained pineapple chunks and served it over some white rice.

It was delicious. The girls took one look at the thick sauce and squinched their noses up. I made them eat 2 pieces of pork, Abby ate her cucumber and brown rice and Emma scoffed at the brown rice, but ate it anyways, and proceeded to make herself a peanut butter sandwich.

I had a sneaking suspicion that because they had never eaten sweet and sour pork they might respond this way, but they tried it anyways.

I have some ground turkey for tomorrow night, not totally sure what to do with it. I'm thinking turkey taco's. It can't be any worse than tonight!

No comments: