Saturday, April 21, 2007

Redemption

Tonight's meal was a HUGE improvement from last night. This was the first officially glorious day in New England. It was over 70, and I sent my husband to fuel up the propane for the grill.
I had bought some frozen boneless, skinless chicken thighs from Trader Joe's and wanted to see how they tasted. Although I buy a lot of frozen veggies and shrimp, I don't usually buy any other frozen products.

In the morning, I took out 4 thighs and stuck them in a Ziploc bag with some soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, a little peanut oil and a drizzle of honey. When we got back from the beach, I fired up the grill to high, and once it was really hot, turned it down to medium. I placed the thighs on the grill, closed the top and went inside to assemble the rest of dinner. I peeled 2 sweet potatoes, cut them into thick fries, drizzled them with olive oil, cumin, a hearty shake of pepper and Lawry's season salt. They went into a 425 degree oven on a Silpat lined cookie sheet for about 30 minutes.

I also assembled a salad of arugula, frozen peas (they thaw in a few minutes in the salad), some feta cheese, and some diced cucumber. I made a quick dressing from the juice of 1 lime, olive oil, kosher salt, pepper and cumin.

Once the roasted sweet potato fries were done, I squeezed the juice from 1/2 lime over them with another shake of cumin and let them sit. I brought the chicken in, sliced it, and added it to the salad. I brought out some leftover whole wheat tortillas as the kids like them, and we ate our first meal outside.

My kids LOVED the chicken that we picked out from the salad, and ate theirs wrapped in a tortilla with guacamole (Trader Joe's and Costco both sell really good "fresh" guac-in-a-bag).

The next three days are supposed to be beautiful, I guess the soup pot will be replaced with the grill!

No comments: