Thursday, April 26, 2007

A run on broccoli.

Tonight's dinner was a no brainer for me. Turkey burgers, steamed broccoli and rice.

I make the rice the way I grew up eating it.

Add a Tbs. of olive oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Add a handful of thin vermicelli noodles (the kind you make chicken noodle soup with). Stir them in the oil until they become golden brown, maybe 4 minutes. Add in 1 C. of long grain white rice and stir into the oil and noodles so the oil coats the rice. Add in 2 C. of chicken stock, stir to combine, turn the heat down to low and cover. It takes about 25 minutes.

While the rice cooked, I made turkey burgers. I seasoned them with garlic salt and ground pepper. Since the turkey is so lean, I added a drizzle of olive oil into the pan and let it heat before adding the burgers. I cooked the burgers on high on one side for about 4 minutes, turned them, covered the pan and turned the heat down to medium. It's important to cover the burgers as they will dry out otherwise.

Lastly, I steamed the broccoli. Bring a little water to a boil, add the broccoli. After about 2 minutes, turn the heat off and let them finish steaming. They RARELY over cook this way. I add a little butter and a pinch of salt before serving.

As usual, a mixed bag at the table. One daughter ate both her and her sisters burger, they both ate all of the broccoli and a couple bites of rice.

I think it's hysterical that the girls bicker over who gets the last piece of broccoli!

Emma has her first day of softball practice tomorrow from 5-6p.m. (are they crazy, that's dinner time!) Anyhow, we will probably eat out tomorrow as I know the girls will be famished. I'm hoping that Friday's will become picnic night's as the weather gets warmer.

No comments: