Monday, May 7, 2007

Equadorian roasted pork

Today felt like a Monday. I did a big shopping (hopefully for the week, or at least most of it) and mentally prepared some menu ideas for the next few days.

Tonight I grilled 2 T-Bone steaks. I drizzled a little olive oil, some ground pepper and a few shakes of garlic salt. They went on a hot grill to sear the outsides, then I turned the heat down and flipped them to finish them off. When they're finished cooking, I bring them inside, and tent them with aluminum foil to keep them warm and juicy.

I also threw a few sea scallops on the grill. They were drizzled with olive oil, salt, pepper and a shake or two of Greek Seasoning. They literally take 2 minutes on the grill and were tender and sweet.

In addition to those, I grilled 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs that I prepared the same way as the scallops. I am going to use those for salads in the next few days.

Also... I bought an old Madhur Jaffrey cookbook that I found at a tag sale and found a great recipe for an Ecuadorian roasted pork. I didn't have a couple of the ingredients, so I substituted.

The recipe went something like this:

1/2 C. orange juice
1/2 C. lemon juice ( I didn't have lemons, so I used lemonade)
1 tsp. sugar
2 tbs. red wine vinegar ( didn't have that either, so I used balsamic vinegar)
the recipe called for sage, but I used 1 tsp. Greek Seasoning
5 cubes of frozen garlic
1 onion ( I didn't have it, so it got omitted)

Preheat an oven to 400. In a casserole pan ( I used a Le Creuset pot), make a bunch of little knife marks throughout the pork. Pour the seasoning over the pork and cook covered for 45 minutes. I added a cup of water at this point as it was looking a little dry, and continued cooking for another hour.

The pork is for tomorrow and I'm going to make plantains and/or roasted sweet potatoes with this.

Tonight we ate the steak and scallops as well as peas, strawberries and a little rice, which the girls weren't too interested in.

The kitchen is stocked with dinner for a few days. This is something I rarely do and hope that it all gets eaten.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Can you tell me what kind of pork you used for this?

Time to Eat! said...

A pork shoulder