Tuesday, May 29, 2007

turkey burgers

The girls are in their last few weeks of school, and the weather here has been amazing. After picking the girls up from school, play dates, etc... we took our neighbors dog for a walk and the girls wanted to catch butterflies in the backyard while I made dinner.

I had pulled a new recipe out from a magazine a few weeks back called: Turkey burgers with zucchini and carrots. I altered the recipe a little, but after eating the burger have added in the other changes I would have made. They were good, but needed a little more flavor. Below is my iteration of Turkey burgers with zucchini and carrots

1 package ground turkey meat
1 shredded zucchini
1 c. shredded carrot
1 egg
2 cubes frozen garlic
cracked pepper
kosher salt
1/4 C. shredded Parmesan cheese
shake or two of Lawry's season salt
1 tbs. olive oil

Preheat oven to 500, and line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil. Combine all ingredients except olive oil in a bowl and mix until combined. Form burgers.

Add olive oil to a large nonstick pan on medium high heat. When the oil shimmers, add the burgers and brown on each side for 4 minutes. When burgers have cooked on both sides, remove from pan and finish cooking on the cookie sheet for 5 more minutes.

I served the burgers with the frozen brown rice from Trader Joe's, a bowl of edamame that I had boiled while the burgers cooked, and a bowl with cherries and white nectarines. The girls scoffed initially, but wolfed them down with ketchup.

It was a good recipe (after the alterations) and I would definitely make them again.

No comments: