Sunday, May 20, 2007

Weekend meals

It's Sunday night, I've just gotten the girls to sleep and am not looking forward to going downstairs to clean up after dinner. We had a nice weekend and although it rained for most of it, we grilled Saturday evening for dinner.

I marinated 1 1/2 lbs. of peeled, cleaned and deveined shrimp and a dozen fresh sea scallops in lemon juice, olive oil, Greek Seasoning, and salt and pepper. I made some rice pilaf (one of those Near East boxed ones) and made a delicious sauteed sugar snap peas.

I heated a little olive oil in a pan and added in 2 garlic cubes. When they started to sizzle, I added in the whole snap peas and stirred them around for a minute. I added about 1/4 C. of water and cooked them on high for another minute or 2, just until the peas turned bright green. I added a pinch of salt and a shake of dried chives. I turned the heat off and also added in a small pat of butter. There was very little liquid left in the pan and the peas stayed green and crisp.

I quickly turned the grill to high, added the shrimp and scallops letting them cook for about 45 seconds on one side, them turned them, shut the lid and ran inside to plate the rice and peas onto a large platter. Once that was done, I hustled back outside and removed the scallops and shrimp from the grill. They were tender and had beautiful grill marks. I served them over the rice and was planning to bring Tsatziki sauce to the table, but forgot. It didn't matter and the meal was delicious.

I grilled the girls 2 hamburgers and boiled some ravioli as they were eating earlier since we were having company, and I put them to bed shortly after our guests arrived.

We ate the leftovers tonight (Sunday) and I also boiled some corn and steamed a couple of artichokes as my younger daughter has proclaimed they are her new favorite food, go figure...

We are planning to meet some friends at the beach tomorrow for an early dinner and I have a class here Tuesday and Wednesday, so those will be eating out nights as well.

No comments: