Wednesday, May 2, 2007

New veg night

I made taco's tonight with the girls and it was probably the most fun we've all had in the kitchen together. Emma is really into grating cheese so that was her job, Abby washed and sliced strawberries, and I made the ground beef and warmed the tortillas. I sliced a few tomatoes and opened a bag of the Trader Joe's Guacamole which, if you've never had it, is quite good.

While the beef cooked, I made plantains, which I found peeled at Trader Joe's today. Shopping there is a bit like rummaging around a tag sale, sometimes you come across some really good stuff. They were easy to make, I heated up about 1/2 C. of canola oil. I sliced the plantains on the diagonal and fried them in the oil until they were golden, about 4 minutes. I drained them on paper towels and sprinkled them with salt and the juice from 1/2 a lime. Abby loved them, Emma ate one and didn't complain, but didn't ask for more. Kirk wasn't over the moon about them, so Abby and I enjoyed them.

I try to on a regular (weekly) basis introduce a new vegetable or fruit to the girls. Even if they hate it, it's good for them to at least get used to trying new things.

We had fun all working together in the kitchen and I am bringing Abby with me on Saturday morning to do a TV segment with me. I 'm calling it Abby's 8 fruit tropical smoothie. Recipe:

This is a delicious, healthy non-dairy treat that can be drunk, eaten with a spoon or enjoyed frozen as ice pops. It's a great way to get your kids into the kitchen and a yummy way to get your kids to eat their fruit!

1/4 C. Goya passion fruit juice
1/4 C. Goya Guava juice
1/4 C. Goya coconut milk
1 kiwi -diced
1/2 C. mixed frozen berries- Strawberry, blueberry, blackberry
1 Dole fresh pineapple cup with juice
1 C. crushed ice
optional -(shredded coconut for garnish)

Add all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.

By the way, it was supposed to be Kirk's night for cooking, but he worked outside all day and was wiped out. He'll have to figure something out tomorrow night!

No comments: