Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Family chicken

My mother has been visiting and we've all been enjoying her stay. The garden has been planted (finally!) with the vegetables for this year. We've been eating out quite a bit, but I got my mom to make the chicken I grew up eating. There are no hard and fast measurements for this dish, but here is the general recipe:

  • 1 whole cut up chicken
  • 2-3 cloves of garlic ( I got her to use the frozen cubes last night)
  • 1/2 C. ketchup
  • 1/2 C. yellow mustard
  • paprika
  • juice from 1 lemon
  • salt
  • pepper
  • 3 tbs. olive oil

Rinse and pat dry chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a large pan. When hot, add chicken, skin side down. Let chicken caramelize for 5-6 minutes until skin has browned. Turn and add ketchup, mustard, paprika, lemon juice, and garlic. Stir around until chicken pieces are coated.

Cover the pan and turn down to medium low heat. Cook for 25 minutes or until cooked through. I like to add a handful of carrots to the pan, when I add the chicken. They cook in a delicious flavorful broth.

The best way to eat this chicken is with a few hot peppers and some cooked rice. We usually make 2 chicken in 2 pans, because it is so good leftover the next day.

No comments: