Thursday, February 21, 2008

turkey tacos and super fast black bean soup


What a joy to have a brand spankin' new clean fridge! I made ground turkey tacos tonight and black bean soup which is soooo easy, my kids loved it!

The turkey tacos were nothing fancy, I just browned ground turkey in a pan and added in a packet of taco seasoning. I served the tacos with spanish rice, flour tortillas and some corn on the cob that I had steamed.

Here's my recipe for black bean soup:

Heat 1 tbs. olive oil in a medium sized pot on medium high heat. When the oil is hot, add in 2 cubes frozen garlic and either 1 finely chopped shallot, 1 C. of thinly sliced leek or 1/2 C. of diced onion. Saute for 3 minutes or until the onion begins to take on some color. Add in 2 cans of black beans and stir. Next, add in 3 C. of chicken stock, a pinch of cumin, a pinch of chili powder, salt and ground pepper. Stir until combined. Bring to a low boil and add in 1-2 cubes frozen cilantro. Let boil on medium heat for 10 minutes. Blend with a handheld blender right in the pot until thoroughly smooth. Let cook another 10 minutes and squeeze in the juice from 1/2 a lime.

Serve.

I added in some hot sauce to my bowl of soup, and you can add a dollop of soup cream to the top, or a few leaves of fresh cilantro if you have them laying around.

**You could also get really fancy and combine 2 cubes of frozen cilantro to 1/2 C. sour cream and serve that atop the soup.

No comments: