Thursday, March 29, 2007

White soup success

Week 2 of papa/kid cooking went well. Kirk was none too happy about having to use multiple pans to 1-steam clams and 2- brown bacon for the chowder. I will admit it was difficult to keep my mouth shut, and I eventually had to leave. I had a cup of Earl Gray on the couch while I listened to them pull out the clams when they opened, chop onion (Kirk did this) and cut potatoes. I don't know who this experience is more beneficial for, Kirk or the girls??

In any event, the soup turned out well, the girls were not happy to see that clams went into clam chowder, but they ate it anyhow. I ended up steaming some edamame and putting out the last of the pineapple and mango with dinner. Kirk had pretty much had it by the time the soup was ready! I realize that I still enjoy cooking A LOT more than I enjoy cleaning up, and Kirk was in complete agreement. He even went so far as to ask for his old job back. I am enjoying watching him struggle to find his ground, he's getting it, and I'm sure in a month's time he will be so much more confident in the kitchen.

The girls seemed to enjoy making the soup, even though there wasn't much to do. I wonder what they'll make next week.

We have a sitter coming tomorrow and I've bought pizza dough so they can make pizza together. It's so easy to buy dough, every store carries fresh dough, and we use tomato sauce, and shredded cheese. Emma sometimes has turkey pepperoni on hers, but Abby is a purist, preferring cheese. I like to have onions, mushrooms and prosciutto with a sprinkling of garlic salt and Parmesan cheese.

No comments: