Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Napkin folding


Dinner went well last night. The meal itself was quite horrible as Kirk let the ribs cook for 45 minutes too long, but the kids were very proud of themselves, proclaiming, "this is the BEST meal ever!"
I got a kick out of seeing them eat what we can more aptly call spare rib jerky. They seemed completely oblivious to the fact that the meat was completely dried out. They enjoyed the process and isn't that the point of this exercise?

I held up my end of the bargain and set the table. I made napkin pockets which the kids thought were totally cool and we even went upstairs to the computer after dinner to Google how to make different types of napkin folds. We decided to attempt a Bird of Paradise napkin fold next, ohhhhhh...

The girls also decided they loved cooking so much that they would like to cook dinner with Papa once a week. They are going to make "White Soup" a.k.a. New England Clam Chowder next week. The girls have NO idea of what is actually in "White Soup" It should be an interesting time.

Dinner tonight was one of my fall-backs. A great way to use staple items. We ate burritos with turkey taco meat, black beans, guacamole, shredded mozzarella cheese and flour tortillas.

The taco meat is easy, cook one package of ground turkey. When browned, add a packet of taco seasoning and a little water. Set aside. For the black beans, I heated a little olive oil, diced up 1/2 of an onion, and popped in 3 cubes of frozen garlic. I sauteed those for a few minutes, and added in a can of black beans. I added a pinch of salt, a pinch of cumin and a tiny pinch of cayenne pepper. Those sat on low and simmered until we were ready to eat.

I defrosted a bag of guacamole, heated up a bunch of flour tortillas in the toaster oven, and let a bag of shredded cheese come to room temperature. I also chopped a head of lettuce. Each of these items are all things that I ALWAYS keep in my "pantry".

We had a nice meal and I always feel happy when it's still light out at the end of the day. We played a game called "which one isn't true?" Each person tells 3 things about either their day or themselves, 2 facts are true and 1 isn't. Then everyone else gets to guess which is false. It's funny to play with the kids because their fake facts are so outrageous. It was funny to play with my husband, who after 15 years was hard pressed to find a fact to fool me with.

We are going for sushi tomorrow night which is good, as we'd have to scrounge for leftovers otherwise.

No comments: