Tuesday, March 20, 2007

walking a mile in my clogs


I've decided to keep a blog about my daily dinnertime meals. People have always asked me, "do you really cook every night?" For the most part, yes...


I begin tonight be telling you that I am NOT cooking tonight. Let's back up. Last night's dinner was teriyaki marinated New York Strip steaks with sauteed green beans and sushi rice. I marinated the steaks in a little Soy Vei Island Teriyaki in a Ziplock bag. At around 4:30, the kids were beginning to prowl the kitchen. I shooed them out and got cooking.


The oven went to Broil. I lined a cookie sheet with foil and boiled 2 cups of water with a drizzle of oil and a pinch of salt. I put the steaks on the cookie sheet and let them come to room temperature while I waited for the water to boil. As soon as the water came to a boil, I added the rice, covered it and let it cook for about 20 minutes. I put the steaks in the oven and set about making some sauteed green beans.


I asked the kids ( I think 4 times) to come and set the table. They did a lot of grumbling, but finally got everything set. They should know the drill by now, my girls have had the job of setting the table for over 2 years, but they still complain every night, go figure...


I turned the steaks after about 5 minutes and stirred up the green beans.


I bring the food to the table and Emma (my 6 year old) tastes the rice and says, "This is the most disgusting rice I've EVER HAD!!!" I try to remain cool and say, "ok, don't eat it." Then she says, "Mom, can I have dessert now?" I try to (calmly) explain that dessert is something we eat after our meal. "How many bites of dinner do I have to have?" she asks?


Meanwhile Abby, (my 4 1/2 year old) is chowing on the steak and going for seconds. Oh yes, the girls have had exactly one bite of the green bean.


I say, "ok, tomorrow night,you can cook dinner." silence... "you can decide what you'd like to make a healthy meal for everyone." "Great!" says Abby, "I want to make chocolate for dinner!" She is thrilled. I re-explain that dinner should have some protein, a vegetable and a starch.


My husband has been extremely quiet up to this point. I continue, "You and daddy can make a shopping list, go to the market and cook dinner tomorrow night. I will set the table and clear up."


They decide on a meal, spareribs, pasta and cucumbers and carrots. Kirk gets out my favorite cookbook aptly named, "How to Cook Everything" by Marc Bittman and finds a recipe. The make a list and fortunately for the well-stocked pantry of ours, there is very little to buy.


Kirk has to start the ribs because the recipe calls for slow cooking (hahahah!) the ribs for at least 3 hours! It's now 4:35 p.m., the girls are downstairs making the glaze for the ribs. They've combined hoisin sauce, soy sauce, white wine and honey. Abby thinks the red (hoisin) looks weird. Emma doesn't want to taste the honey. I've set the table and am staying upstairs. I hear Kirk (somewhat excitedly) to be careful of the peeler, put the bowl in the sink...


Kirk is still wondering how he got sucked into this whole affair. I feel a little bit like I've gone on dinner strike for the evening. I'm enjoying my Earl Grey tea and have begun this blog.


I'll let you know how dinner goes tomorrow.


Nicole





1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love it!! How about a regular routine to give you the night off!!??