Friday, March 23, 2007

crazy cake!


This cake has gotten rather out of control... I started last night (after the kids went to sleep) with the sugar dome. I vaguely remembered how to make one, boil some sugar, water and a tiny bit of corn syrup, when it turns caramelly color, let it cool for a minute and begin drizzing.

Easier said than done! I got everything ready, sprayed the outside of a metal bowl with copious amounts of Pam, got my sugar syrup boiling away and when it looked ready ( My candy thermometer's disppeared) I drizzled the molten lava sugar syrup over the back of the bowl. Ok, this seems familiar. I try to gently slide the sugar bowl away from the metal bowl, it doesn't budge. Hmmm. That does not seem familiar. I quickly realize I haven't let the sugar cook long enough. I wash out the copper pot, make a new batch of sugar syrup. This time I let it boil, until it looks a beautiful copper color. Again, spray the bowl and with my fork, drizzle the syrup back and forth across the back of the bowl. I let it cool, and very gently slide my hand back and forth over the top. It slowly slides! I run upstairs and proclaim to Kirk that I am the "Queen of the sugar bowl!!"

I also made the dark chocolate ganache which is quite easy, 8 oz. dark chocolate and 3/4 C. heavy cream. Boil the heavy cream, when it boils, turn the heat off and stir in the chocolate until it melts. It turns beautiful and shiny.

I made the cake this morning. It's an "almost" flourless chocolate cake. It's a few steps, but still relatively easy. Melt 2 stick of unsalted butter with 10 oz. bittersweet chocolate. In a bowl, beat 5 eggs with 1 1/4 C. sugar until it thickens up. Sift 5 tablespoons of flour and 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda. Fold the flour mixture into the eggs and when incorporated, slowly add the melted chocolate. Pout into a buttered and flourered pan and bake at 350 for 20 minutes, then cover and bake an additional 30 mintues.

After the cake cooled, I garnished the sides with ground hazlenuts and made a spider web out of melted white chocolate.

Basically, I managed to waste almost 2 days with this cake! Ugh...

After cleaning up the copious amounts of chocolate all around the kitchen, I got to dinner.

I preheated the oven to 350. Rubbed the turkey breast with olive oil, kosher salt, peper and Greek Seasoning. I stuffed 1/2 an onion into the cavity and a bunch of baby carrots around the turkey. I made some white rice to go with our turkey.

The great thing about roasting poultry is that there is nothing to do, no checking, no basting, it basically cooks itself.

We had the rest of the ginger bread and some fresh strawberries for dessert.
No idea what to do for dinner tomorrow night, will definately be raiding the pantry for adding to our leftover turkey breast. :)

No comments: