Thursday, March 22, 2007

Don't forget the fish eggs.

Dinner tonight was at our local sushi restaurant. It's pretty much a no-brainer, a bit like groundhog day. For the kids: Edamame and miso soup to start, followed by chicken teriyaki and sticky rice, but don't forget the fish eggs on top for Abby. For me, California rolls with cucumber instead of avocado and spider rolls (soft shell crab) with salad. We usually walk over to Ben and Jerry's for dessert, and tonight was no exception.

When our first daughter was born, I was (crazy) convinced I would parent better (than who, I don't know), and my kid wasn't going to eat any jarred baby food. I spent (wasted) hours baking sweet potatoes, steaming green beans, you get the idea. Emma is a good eater. However, a short time later (17 months to be exact) when Abby was born, I didn't have the energy to make her anything. She simply ate whatever we were eating, only smushed up. To this day, I am convinced this is why she is such an adventurous eater. The kid will try anything, she won't necessarily LIKE everything, but she will always try it.

I went to the market today, I think I've gone almost every day this week. Yesterday it was because we ran out of olive oil (go figure) and today it was because we ran out of lunch meat. I bought a turkey breast that I will roast tomorrow so we can eat it for dinner and hopefully a few days afterwards.

I am baking a flourless chocolate cake with a dark chocolate ganache and a hazlenut praline for a cake drive at my daughter's school. To add a little more insanity to the project, I've decided to make a sugar dome for the top. I haven't made one in over 15 years, so I'm off to do a trial one now. I'll post the picture of the cake tomorrow night.

No comments: