Monday, March 26, 2007

But I'm soooo hungry...

Dinner tonight was supposed to be a fairly easy ordeal. I saw this recipe on PBS from a lovely French guy whose name rhymes with Tepin... He made a delicious lamb, leek and white bean stew in the pressure cooker that he said only took 30-40 minutes.

No problem. With my usual alterations, I began with a drizzle of olive oil into the bottom of the pressure cooker. I popped in 3 cubes of frozen garlic. I quartered 2 leeks and rinsed them in a bowl of cold water. I warmed the olive oil and once it began to sizzle, I added 2 lamb loins to the pan. I added a pinch of salt, a few grinds of pepper and a sprinkling of Greek Seasoning. I let those cook for a few minutes on each side then added in the leeks. I added in a can of diced tomatoes, a handful of white beans that I had rinsed and a cup of white wine and 2 cups of water. I closed the lid to the pressure cooker and let it whistle away for the required 30 minutes.

During that time, my girls declared on a number of occasions that they were, " soooooo hungry mommyyyyy!!!" I told them not to worry, dinner would be ready soon, and why don't they set the table in the meantime. They set the table and returned proclaiming that they were, "really, really hungryyyyy!" I started to get a little nervous. To distract them, I told them they could wash and cut the strawberries, hoping they would eat a few. They did, and 30 minutes come and go. I open the lid and as I had worried, the beans were still little pebbles and the girls were gnawing on the dinner chairs.

I quickly popped the 1/2 of the leftover baked potato from last night into the microwave and the really, really leftover roasted turkey breast from a few nights ago. I had bought some fresh corn and hopped-to to get that boiling in some water.

As we ate our very very left over meal, I listened to the pressure cooker whistle away while I wondered, who times these recipes for PBS??? We had a nice dinner together, and I'm looking forward to tomorrow nights lamb, leek and white bean stew that ended up taking 1 hour and 15 minutes!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's just like what happened to my corned beef and cabbage in the crock pot. It was great the day after
St. Paddy's Day!
Carol Lena