Thursday, August 28, 2008

Soba noodles for the family


I taped a Back to School segment today-chock full of great ideas for healthy lunches and snacks for kids. It will air all weekend on News Channel 12 on the What's Cooking segment.

1 recipe I demonstrated was Soba Noodles. My friend had made these recently and brought them to my house, and the kids loved them. I tweaked the recipe a little, here it is. I made these noodles tonight for dinner with friends and the kids were slurping them up.

There are so many things you can add to this dish- shredded carrots, diced cucumber, boiled shelled edamame, cooked chicken cubes, a few cilantro leaves, a handful of crushed peanuts or diced scallion.

My kids ate them plain with a little shredded carrots added in (we didn't have anything else to add!)

They are very easy to make and everyone will enjoy them.

Boil soba noodles for 3-4 minutes. Drain in a colander under cold running water.
Combine:
¼ C. low-sodium soy sauce
¼ cup rice wine vinegar
2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
1 Tbs. sugar
1 tsp. Asian sesame oil (or vegetable oil)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yummy!! looking forward to seeing what you're doing for classes this fall in Greenwich!

Time to Eat! said...

Thanks, the new classes are on the website.