Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Back to school dinner


The girls came off the bus this afternoon seemingly happy (not as happy as Kirk and I, we had perma-grin's on all day). We walked home, got a short run down of the day and they both wandered up to our bed to watch a cartoon. Within 5 minutes the elder was sound asleep and the younger was chattering away to herself.

Back into our routine, we cleaned out lunch boxes and I began dinner. My husband offered to help and I asked him to make the girls lunches while I prepared dinner. GULP... The task that usually takes me 5 minutes takes the poor guy upwards of 30. I walked him though the choices and he set out on his way.

I prepared dijon and and panko crusted pork chops, couscous, and peas. Nothing fancy.

Preheat oven to 425. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil. Spread a little dijon mustard to each side of a boneless pork chop, then in a separate bowl combine about 1 cup of panko with a good tablespoon of Adobo seasoning, and a few grinds of pepper. Dredge each pork chop with the mixture and place on the cookie sheet.

Bake for about 10 minutes per side. They come out crispy on the outside and always juicy on the inside with almost no effort.

While those cooked, I made a box of couscous, actually my little one wanted to help in the kitchen, so I let her measure out the water, and pour it in a small pot, she added in a little olive oil and a good pinch of salt. Once that came to a boil, I let her add in the couscous and I covered the pan.

I boiled some water for peas and added a little butter and pinch of salt and pepper. I have to admit that I still love peas.

The kids set the table and we all enjoyed a quiet family dinner. No drama tonight! Yea...

The girls said they want to learn how to make chicken, so I think Moron Chicken is what we will be having tomorrow night with some roasted new potatoes and a veg.

Happy school!

No comments: