Friday, August 22, 2008

Grilled chicken and a mess o'veggies


I can tell summer is coming to an end, the evenings are getting cooler and the sun is setting earlier. I have to admit I always look forward to those cool crisp fall mornings when the sun shines a little bit differently, and I can pull out my long sleeve shirts and pants.

I was having lunch with a friend today and we made a top 10 list of reasons to be happy summer is almost over, #1 being that the kids go back to school!!

Anyhow, I met a friend and her kids this afternoon and the kids all played, then a couple kids came back to our house for dinner. 1 has a gluten intolerance so I kept it really simple and made boneless, skinless, grilled chicken thighs with olive oil, the juice from a fresh lemon and a good pinch of kosher salt and pepper.

I have made these a million times and I've found the key to great grilling is to sear the food on the grill at a very high heat, then remove from the grill, cover in foil and continue cooking in a 500 degree oven until cooked through. The meat always stays tender and juicy.

While the chicken finished cooking in the oven, I quickly steamed broccoli, rinsed some snap peas, and sliced some cucumber. I also added a handful of baby corn, some sliced strawberries and blueberries.

I made a little pasta, but not much as 1 child can't have it and I didn't want the other 3 to fill up on it.

Everyone came to the table, ate happily and not one complaint about a missing nugget, french fry or chocolate dipped anything.

Kids LIKE simple food, kid food is not meant for kids or anyone else for that matter...

1 comment:

eastcoastmom said...

Yes, my kids only like simple food, really boring food if you ask me... Any grilled meat, chicken and some fish our kids love.

Like your blog! And I can´t wait til Wednesday, school!