Sunday, August 24, 2008

Greek Pasta Salad


We went to a neighborhood beach picnic this evening. It's an annual thing and something that I really, really love about our neighborhood. We are a real community and growing up, I never really knew anyone much less everyone on our street. I know it sounds a little Beaver Cleaver, but it makes me feel safe and happy.

Anyhow, I made a simple pasta salad and wanted to share the recipe with you.

Boil a box of pasta ( I think I used elbow)

In a bowl, add a can of rinsed garbanzo beans, chopped steamed broccoli, thinly sliced snap peas, a little green onion, and diced cucumber. In retrospect, I would have added some chopped sun-dried tomatoes, but I forgot. Add 1 C. of crumbled feta cheese with Mediterranean Herbs (You can find a block of this at the market)

Add a handful of pitted Greek green olives, a good pinch of kosher salt and pepper.

Once the pasta is Al Dente, rinse under cool running water.

Make a dijon vinaigrette of :
2 Tbs. Dijon mustard
the juice from 1 lemon
1/2 C. olive oil
1 tsp. Greek Seasoning (McCormack makes it)
a pinch of salt and pepper

Stir to combine and add vinaigrette to the bowl. Add pasta and stir to combine. I made this earlier in the day and stored until ready to use.

It was delicious, healthy and super easy. P.S. You can also add chopped artichoke hearts.

No comments: