Thursday, September 13, 2007

Wednesday recap

I've been working a lot lately and last night Kirk offered to make dinner. This is very exciting and novel for me, as I am the primary cooker in the family. I had already bought green beans and potatoes, he baked them, steamed the beans, grilled us some hamburgers and even picked some fresh cherry tomatoes from our garden.

I came home and was treated to dinner, what fun!

I worked again today and we had a friend and her daughter for dinner. The girls learned about the joys of a melon baller and balled the heck out of a honeydew last night. I sliced some cucumber and low-and-behold, Emma loved dipping lettuce into balsamic vinagrette, which she called lettuce dip. Whatever works.

We ate the last of the taco meat, some pasta and the assorted fruits and veggies from the table.

I made some delicious crab for crab cakes that we will have tomorrow. The basic recipe is:
Sautee some finely diced onion, celery and fennel in olive oil. Season with salt, pepper, and Old Bay Seasoning. Mix vegetables with lump crab meat, mayonaise ( I don't like a lot, just enough to hold the mixture together) and fresh parsley.

Make crab cakes, and dredge in Panko and seasoned flour (which is simply flour mixed with salt, pepper and Adobo or Lawry's Season Salt).

Heat canola or vegetable oil in a large nonstick pan. When the oil shimmers, add the crab cakes and brown on each side. Keep warm in a 200 degree oven on a cookie sheet while the others cook.

I am going to serve those with roasted brussel sprouts and more lettuce with "dip" tomorrow night.

No comments: