Sunday, June 3, 2007

grilling before the rain

After a crazy Saturday of softball games, ballet recitals and birthday parties, I was quite happy to hang around the house today. I started dinner at 3:30 p.m. in a leisurely fashion.

I made some Spanish rice from a box of Goya. I added some diced onions to give the rice a little extra flavor. While the rice cooked, I made some spareribs on the grill. I cut the ribs into single pieces and made a sauce of equal parts of yellow mustard, ketchup and BBQ sauce. I added a few shakes of garlic salt and pepper. I got the grill nice and hot, added the ribs, then turned the heat down to medium. I closed the grill and let the ribs cook for about 8 minutes, then I turned them and let them cook for another 6-7 minutes.

While the ribs cooked, I preheated the oven to 400, boiled some water for corn and made a great jalapeno corn muffin. I started with 2 boxes of Jiffy corn muffin mix (which, by the way got ranked very high in Cooks Illustrated Magazine), then added 1/2 C. of diced canned jalapeno peppers, 1 cup of frozen roasted corn and a handful of shredded cheddar cheese. I add 1 egg and 1/3 C. of milk. They made 12 muffins which I baked for about 10 minutes and let them cool.

I took the ribs off the grill, put them in a baking dish and covered the dish with aluminum foil. I finished off the ribs in the 400 degree oven with the corn muffins for another 10-15 minutes.

The meal came together nicely, both girls loved the ribs, one loved the rice, the other didn't. They both liked the corn, but neither touched the corn muffins.

We just got the girls to bed and we're both ready to put our feet up for the evening. Does anyone else agree that the weekends (which are supposed to be relaxing) are more exhausting than the weekdays?!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

do you put the sauce on the ribs from the start...or wait till you put them in the oven so the sauce doesn't burn?