Monday, March 2, 2009

Sweet and sour shrimp


We had a giant snowstorm in NE today and I didn't get to the market, fortunately I had bags of frozen shrimp and couscous handy for a dinner in a pinch.

While perusing through my (too) large selection of spices and seasonings, I came across a jar of sweet and sour sauce and thought that would be perfect for tonight.

Here's my recipe for sweet and sour shrimp. I would have added fresh pineapple, but we didn't have any, if you have some, add it!

Defrost 1 bag of large peeled, cleaned and deveined uncooked shrimp in a bowl of warm water. This usually takes about 3 minutes. I like to pinch the tails off, but this is certainly optional.

Combine 1/2 C. sweet and sour sauce with 1 Tbs. of soy sauce in a bowl. Add shrimp to bowl and let marinate for a few minutes. Heat a large pan on high heat and add 1 Tbs. of either sesame or peanut oil. When the oil is shimmering, add the shrimp and sauce and cook for 2 minutes. Remove and serve hot.

I served the shrimp with the Trader Joe's harvest blend couscous that I love and a salad.

* You could also throw in some cooked shelled edamame, red peppers or even snow peas when cooking the shrimp. *

No comments: