Saturday, March 21, 2009

Chicken and vegetable kebabs


We spent a fantastic week in Mexico and were spoiled with a chef during our vacation. The weather in CT. was gorgeous today and I spent most of it getting the garden ready for planting.

I did our grocery shopping for the week and with the help of the girls made delicious chicken kebabs tonight with onions, mushrooms, red peppers, and zucchini, chicken thighs, and a bit of chicken sausage.

I sliced the veggies into about 1/2" pieces and cut 4 boneless, skinless, chicken thighs into about 2" chunks. I also sliced 2 chicken sausages into about 1" rounds. I combined the juice from 1 lemon, a large pinch of kosher salt, 2 cubes of frozen garlic, 1 Tbs. of Greek Seasoning, 3 Tbs. of olive oil, and a large pinch of ground pepper.

I marinated the chicken and veggies for about 10 minutes then the girls helped me skewer everything. They had a great time putting everything onto skewers. While the girls skewered the food, I preheated the oven to 500, lined a cookie sheet with aluminum foil, and turned the grill to high.

As the girls finished the skewers, they placed them on the foil lined sheet. Once they were all done, I put them on the grill to cook for about 4 minutes, turned them once and let them cook for another 4 minutes. I removed them and let them finish cooking in the oven for about 5 more minutes.

While the skewers cooked, I made some frozen brown rice.

The girls loved the dinner and were so excited to eat food from a stick. They tried everything and although didn't love the zucchini, my pickier kid loved the grilled onions.

They can't wait to poke more food onto a stick!

No comments: