Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Sauteed rainbow chard


Tonight I made a staple in our house, panko crusted pork chops and couscous. I decided to throw a new veggie into the mix, rainbow Swiss chard. I've made it for the kids before, but not in ages.

I bought a bag of fresh, prewashed, chopped rainbow Swiss chard at Trader Joe's today. I heated a large nonstick pan on high heat, added in a Tbs. of olive oil and 2 cubes of frozen garlic. Next I added in the bag of chard. Don't get worried if the chard seems to form a small mountain, it will cook down a lot. I then added in about 3/4 of a cup of chicken stock. If you don't have it, you can use water, but the stock adds a lot of flavor.

Saute the chard for about 8 minutes until the stems become soft and most of the liquid has evaporated. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

The kids were a little unsure of the chard, but I assured them they should only eat a little as it is a Super Food and they might become uncontrollably strong. The elder (who usually makes the bigger fuss) ate it quickly but didn't fuss. She then jumped off her chair and began doing push ups on the floor! Abby began to laugh and quickly polished off her serving, promptly asking for more.

They both ended up having 2 servings of chard and we enjoyed a dinner and a laugh together. I love when we can get though a dinner without fusses!

No comments: