Thursday, May 1, 2008

BBQ'ued ribs, rice and green beans


We had a good ol' Southern dinner tonight. One of the many memorable meals I remember my grandmother making was her BBQ'ued pork ribs. She made a very simple sauce for them, it was basically equal parts Ketchup, yellow mustard and bbq sauce with a good sprinkling of garlic salt and pepper. She rubbed the sauce all over the ribs and stuck them on a hot grill.

I haven't changed much, but I don't cook them entirely through on the grill. I have found that finishing them off in a hot 450 degree oven keeps them much moister. I grill the slabs for about 6-7 minutes per side, then bring them inside, and cut them into individual ribs and put them in a deep roasting pan and cover them with foil and cook them for another 25-30 minutes. They retain all the flavor of the grill, but are tender and juicy.

I made some plain white rice to which I added some butter and salt, and finally I steamed some green beans.

The kids loved the meal and we had some honeydew for dessert.

I am wiped out today and am heading downstairs to make their lunches for tomorrow.

No comments: