Friday, December 28, 2007

Honey ginger chicken


My girlfriend took me to an amazing tiny restaurant last night, it's called Valencia Luncheria, it's on 172 Main Street in Norwalk. This is my kind of food. We had black bean soup, an ear of corn with a lime cilantro butter, arepas, which are like corn cakes filled with an assortment of different yummy things, ours had beef. We had a chicken liver emapanada, which my friend was not thrilled about, but I like to try new things, and we had some roasted pork which was incredible. The food came with plantains, which are sweet cooked green bananas-wow!!

The place is tiny, but the food is so worth it! I made chicken thighs with a ginger honey hoisin sauce. It's very easy, I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs, preheated the oven to 400 and placed the chicken thighs in a shallow pan, like a glass brownie pan. I combined 1/2 C. hoisin, 2 tbs. soy sauce, 3 cubes frozen ginger and a good big squeeze of honey. I spread this all over the chicken and baked it for about 25 minutes.

While this was baking, my neighbor (same friend from last night) showed up with more incredible take out from NY today. It was roasted chicken, spanish rice, black beans (which my kids LOVED and ate 2 servings of) and more plantains.

I like that the girls are now accustomed to at least trying a small bite of things, because at first my older daughter insisted she didn't like the beans, and 1 minute later, asked for a large serving of them on her plate. This is why I always stress the importance of serving everything to your kids, you just never know what's going to be a hit with them.

We will eat the chicken tomorrow with some sticky rice and edamame.

No comments: