Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Roasted beet and green bean salad


My girls double as guinea pigs in our house for trying new foods. Last week we made scones, which they loved! This week the girls tried roasted beets. I can't make beets without thinking fondly of my grandmother who taught me the easiest way to prepare them.

Preheat oven to 500. Rinse beets and snap the tops off. Wrap beets (4-5) in foil, double the foil up if necessary to ensure no beet juice will leak.

Pop them in the oven and bake for 45-55 minutes or until a knife can be inserted through the foil and slides in easily.

Once the beets are cooked through, remove them from the foil and rinse under cool running water. Gently rub the skins and they slip right off. I like to dice them, add a little bit of butter and salt and eat warm.

I tell the girls the story that was told to me when I was a little girl that women used to dye their lips and cheeks with beet juice before they had makeup. Whether this is true or not remains to be seen, but it's a fun story to tell while enjoying these sweet delicious red gems.

I had a friend over today for lunch and we enjoyed some leftovers from last nights party. Steamed Haricot vert (baby green bean) salad with roasted beets with a dijon vinaigrette.

If your only experience with beets are the ones that come from a can, try roasting beets, they are so easy to make and mild enough that kids will love them too.

No comments: