Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Indian spiced shrimp with steamed vegetables


Every now and again when I venture into NY, I go to a great spice store called Kalustyan's, I've blogged about it before.

When I was at the supermarket today, I bought some shrimp and assorted veggies, had some leftover cilantro and lime juice and decided to make a stir fry-ish...

I used a bamboo steamer to steam green beans, broccoli, mushrooms, red pepper and shredded carrots.

While those steamed, I made some couscous. In another pan I heated up about 1 Tbs. of peanut oil and when it was very hot, threw in 1/2 pound of uncooked, peeled, cleaned and deveined shrimp. I added in a handful of fresh chopped cilantro and the juice from 1/2 lime.

I stirred that around for about 30 seconds, then added in my mystery spice from Kalustyan's. It's a type of curry, but I took it out of it's container and put it in a ball jar with NO label. Use any kind of curry powder you have and add a pinch of cayenne pepper.

The veggies steam quickly, so I removed some and threw it in with the shrimp, reserving the rest of the veggies for the girls.

They happily ate the veggies and couscous with a little left over steak.

I bought a roast to make in the next day or 2, hoping the weather will stay coolish.

No comments: