Sunday, March 2, 2008

Coconut curried chicken with garbanzo beans and raisins


We had a pretty quiet weekend here. I took the girls to the NY Museum of Natural History yesterday where they are having a cool live butterfly exhibit. We all enjoyed a little trip to NY.

I had a little chicken left over from the one I roasted a couple days ago and decided to throw a few things in a pot and see how it turned out. I knew the kids would NOT eat this so they got cheese quesadillas and fresh snap peas for dinner which they were happy about.

I added 3 cubes frozen ginger and garlic to a nonstick deep pan. When those started to sizzle, I added in about 2 cups of the shredded chicken, 1 c. of light coconut milk and 1 can drained and rinsed garbanzo beans. I stirred everything around and let it come to a boil. I added in 1 tsp. of curry powder, about 1/2 tsp. of Galangal, which is Thai powdered ginger and a good pinch of salt. I wanted to add in some red pepper flakes, but could not find any.

I added in about 1/2 C. of chicken stock, a handful of baby carrots, and a handful of raisins. I let the whole thing come to a low boil for about 15 minutes.

I served it over a little of the lime coconut rice that I had bought from Trader Joe's. It's cooked and sealed in a clear plastic bag. It's found in the rice section of the store. It just needed to be heated in the microwave for a couple minutes.

This made a much larger meal than I thought, but it was really tasty and I ate it with a salad of pea shoots that I drizzled a little olive oil over with a pinch of salt and a tiny pinch of sugar.

It is definitely worth trying.

No comments: