Monday, December 14, 2009

Ham and white bean soup with lentils


I have a beautiful ham bone leftover and wanted to make soup today. The weather has been cold and lousy here and soup always warms the house. Most soups are fairly simple to make, but this one in particular is so easy.

Here's my recipe for ham and white bean soup with lentils:

1 diced onion
1 C. each-chopped carrot and celery
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 ham bone (if you don't have a ham bone, use a couple ham hocks)
2 cans white beans
5 C. (40 oz.) chicken stock
1/2 C. rinsed lentils
large pinch of each-salt and pepper
1 bay leaf

Saute onion, carrots and celery in olive oil for 2-3 minutes in a large soup pot. Add ham bone, white beans and chicken stock. Stir to combine, add lentils, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and cook for at least an hour. If cooking longer, reduce heat and simmer until ready to eat.

2 comments:

zoe p. said...

It never occurred to me to mix lentils with other beans, but I'm making this soup right now and I love the way the white beans make the lentil flavor a bit more mild.

Of course by "this soup" I mean this soup, without carrots, onions, celery or ham. Plus leeks, sweet potatoes, a few leaves of kale and a chopped up processed turkey product someone gave me! No need for me to add any salt . . .

Thanks for posting this! Inspirational! I knew the minute I saw this recipe that I'd use it myself, one way or another.

Anonymous said...

It is the truth.