Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Chicken with leeks and mushrooms


I was busy cooking all day today and by the time dinner rolled around I had no idea what I was going to make!

I knew I had a package of boneless, skinless chicken thighs in the fridge, some leftover chopped leeks and half used can of diced tomatoes, here's what I came up with.

1/2 C. chopped leeks
1 Tbs. olive oil
4-5 boneless skinless chicken thighs
salt and pepper
Greek or Italian seasoning
1/2 C. canned diced tomatoes with juice
3-4 mushrooms, quartered
1 cube frozen garlic
1 C. chicken stock
splash of white wine (optional)
1 bay leaf
splash of light cream (about 2 Tbs.)

Saute leeks in olive oil in a high sided nonstick pan on medium high heat for 2-3 minutes until leeks begin to soften. While leeks cook, season each side of chicken with salt, pepper and Greek seasoning. Add chicken to the pan and let brown for 1 minute per side.

Add tomatoes, mushrooms, garlic cube, chicken stock (white wine if you are using it) and bay leaf. Stir to combine, cover pan with a lid and reduce heat to medium low. Simmering for 15 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated and chicken is tender. Add a splash of light cream and cook another 2 minutes uncovered. Serve with couscous.

My kids loved this dish and couldn't believe I had just made it up. Give this chicken a try, it will certainly be made in our house again!

No comments: