Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Zucchini Bread and Camp Mom.


The girls are finished with summer camp and they are home with me. Initially I was pretty anxious about it, but have decided to look at it as an adventure and take the time to go places we have never been.

We went bowling this morning, visited the horses at Emma's barn, then went for a tour of the Lockwood Matthew's Mansion in Norwalk. The girls had gone here on a field trip this summer and raved about it. They insisted we return and so we went today for a 1 hour tour. I was surprised how interested they were in the history of this building, it was interesting to me, and I was (secretly) thrilled this held their attention.

We came home and the kids took a break, Abby went to Chess club and I took them for Mickey D's. I had some leftover Angel Hair pasta with garlic, olive oil and Parmesan cheese.

I am having friends over for dinner on Friday and am planning to make those Provencal Tartlets that I demo'ed at the Peacock Party in NY.

I have finally gotten a decent crop of zucchini in the garden and made a yummy zucchini bread. Here's the recipe.

3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 eggs
2 cups granular sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups grated zucchini
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon orange zest


Preheat oven at 350 degrees F. Grease (2) 9 by 5-inch loaf pans.
Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, spices and baking soda.
In a large bowl, beat eggs until light and fluffy. Add sugar, and continue beating until well blended. Stir in oil, vanilla, zucchini, pecans, chocolate chips, and orange zest. Stir in sifted ingredients. Pour into prepared loaf pans.
Bake for 50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove loaves from pans and cool.

No comments: