Thursday, November 15, 2007

Turkey chili


What a lousy day outside!!! What a perfect day for chili. I spent most of the day shuttling back and forth between the girls school-lunch duty, parent-teacher conferences. In the middle of the first conference, I get a txt message from Kirk saying, can't wait to hear the news! As if we're waiting to hear about early enrollment to Harvard!! I had to show the teacher, we both got a good laugh!

I bought a few art supplies for the girls, Model Magic, a package of new markers and landyard. They were sooooo happy!

Here's the recipe for turkey chili: It makes a lot!

Add a little olive oil to a large soup pot. When it shimmers, add a cup of frozen or fresh diced onion. I added frozen (they're great!) I also added about 1 C. of Miraupoix from Trader Joes. Basically, it's fresh diced celery, onion and carrot. It's the basis for most soups. I stirred that around for a minute or two, then added in a package of ground lean turkey meat. I stirred that around for about 5 minutes until it began to cook. I added in some chicken sausage that I removed from the casings. The easiest way to do that is to just run the sauasge between your fingers and squeeze the sausage out. Stir the sausage around and break it up with a wooden spoon. Let the meat mixture cook for about 5-7 more minutes. Add in 2 cans of rinsed beans, I used a can of red kidney and a can of pinto beans. I then added in about 1 tbs. of cumin, 1 tbs. of chili powder, a large pinch of kosher salt and pepper, and a few shakes of Adobo.

Next, I added in 2 large 32 oz. cans of diced tomatoes. Stir the whole mess around until it is combined, reduce the heat to medium low, cover and cook for 30 minutes. Taste before serving, as it might need more salt. It won't be spicy, so you will want to add spice to your own bowl.

The chili is delicious and my kids love to eat the beans and ground turkey.

No comments: