Saturday, February 14, 2009

Pasta prima-nesca..


I am always morphing recipes that I come across and saw a rather good looking recipe for pasta puttanesca, but wanted to add more veggies and make it my own.

Here is the recipe I came up with. The kids loved it and the older one didn't even mind picking out the mushrooms!

By the way... if you follow this blog you will know how much I adore those frozen Dorot herbs. I had a bunch of fresh peeled garlic cloves sitting around and decided to make my own garlic puree for the freezer. I pureed it with just a touch of olive oil and spooned it out into Tbs. servings on to the Glad Press N' Seal, then I added a top layer and sealed around each spoonful so I have 1 tablespoon of pureed garlic as needed. I am so excited about this and plan to do the same with some fresh ginger I have too!

Ok, here's the recipe:

Cook 1/2 box of penne (or whatever pasta you have) in salted boiling water.

While the pasta boils, add 3 cubes of pureed (or frozen) garlic, 2 diced shallots (or 1/2 an onion), and 2 tbs. of olive oil to a large nonstick pan. Let that cook for 30 seconds. Slice about 1 C. of cherry tomatoes in half and about 1 C. of fresh button mushrooms into thin slices. Add the tomatoes and mushrooms next with a good pinch of kosher salt and pepper. Stir to combine and let cook for 1 minute.

Add 1/4 C. drained capers and a little of the pasta water if it seems too dry. You can also add in a few slices of chopped prosciutto if you'd like, or keep it vegetarian. Continue cooking on medium high heat until the pasta is ready (4-5 minutes).

When the pasta is cooked, add it to the sauce with 1 C. of frozen peas. Cook another minute until the peas are cooked through and add a good 1/4 C. of grated Parmesan cheese before serving.

We all loved it, and I added a pinch of red pepper flakes to mine. It was yummy.

I am soaking beans (yes, the old fashioned way) to make a ham, smoked turkey and bean stew. My friend said she was making one and it sounded so good, I wanted to make one too.

No comments: