Monday, December 8, 2008

Coconut curried lamb stew


I was almost certain that my kids would NOT eat tonight's dinner, but following my own advice, I decided to make it anyhow and give it a try.

Start by sauteing 2 onions in a little peanut oil in a large heavy bottomed pan, I used the Le Creuset. Sprinkle 1 lb. of cubed lamb meat with kosher salt, curry powder, turmeric and a little black pepper.

Add the lamb to the pot once the onions have sauteed for 2 minutes. Brown the lamb for 3 minutes. While the lamb browns, peel 2 small new potatoes and cut into small cubed, add to the pot. Peel and chop 3 carrots and add those in as well. Add in 1 can of light coconut milk, and stir to combine everything. Lower the heat to a simmer and cover for 40 minutes. About 10 minutes before serving, add in the juice from 1/2 a lime and a cup of snap peas cut in half.

Serve over Jasmine or Basmati rice. The kids devoured it, and I was really pleased. The grown-ups added a handful of fresh cilantro leaves and a little bit of red pepper flakes.

I am inspired to continue trying some more new dishes.

No comments: