Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Homemade chicken soup in an hour


We are all feeling slightly under the weather, not enough to screech to a halt, but not 100%. I thought the best thing for us was a big bowl of Jewish Penicillin or Chicken soup.

This is a very easy recipe and yields a large pot.

Add a little olive oil to a large soup pot. Add in a container of Mir Au Poix from Trader Joe's. If you don't have it, add in 2 chopped carrots, 4 stalks of celery and 1 chopped onion. Saute for a minute or two and add a good pinch of kosher salt.

While the veggies are sauteing, rinse a smallish whole chicken. Season generously with Poultry or Italian seasoning and a few grinds of pepper. Add the chicken to the pot and brown for about 2 minutes per side.

Add in 8-10 cups of water, another good pinch of Kosher salt and a couple bay leaves. Bring to a boil and let chicken cook until it begins to fall away from the bone.

I had a couple ears of cooked corn which I added in also. You could also add mushrooms or zucchini, but I stuck to simple soup.

When the chicken is cooked, remove from the pot and carefully pull the meat off the bone. Do this carefully because the chicken is HOT!

Add the meat back into the soup.

We keep bags of frozen brown rice on hand from Whole Foods. I added about 1/2 C. to the bottom of my soup bowl -frozen. Ladle the soup over the rice and it cooks instantly.

Viola! Delicious, homemade chicken and brown rice soup. We all enjoyed it last night with a green salad with a simple dressing of lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.

I still haven't quite gotten the hang of homemade bread, but I am still trying. If anyone has any good recipes, please let me know.

No comments: