Sunday, August 2, 2009

Teriyaki grilled top round London broil


There was a special at my favorite super market this week for a type of steak I've never eaten before. I decided to buy first and ask questions later. The cut was a top round London broil; when I returned home and Googled this cut of meat, I was nervous because recipes were calling it a tough cut. I finally found a way to cook it and more importantly slice it that would ensure a nice meal.

I marinated the steak in a bottle of Hoison Garlic Soy Vay sauce for a couple of hours in a Ziplock bag. When we were ready to eat, I let the steaks sit out for about 20 minutes while I heated the grill to high. I also preheated the oven to 450, and lined a cookie sheet with aluminum foil. I grilled each steak for about 5 minutes per side then removed the steaks, placed them on the cookie sheet, covered the steaks with aluminum foil and cooked in the oven for another 5 minutes.

Here's the important part, uncover the steaks and let them rest for a few minutes. Thinly slice the steaks on the diagonal, (otherwise you'll have a tough steak!) which means to cut it in the opposite direction of the way the lines on the steak run.

The steak was tender and very, very flavorful.

Don't be afraid to try new cuts of steak, it's a great way to expand your repertoire.

No comments: