Thursday, May 7, 2009

Stuffed chicken breasts


Tonight's dinner was met with mixed reviews. The grown-ups loved it, the kids... not so much.

Anyhow, here's my recipe for goat cheese and artichoke stuffed chicken breasts.

Saute 1/2 C. mire au poix (which you can buy pre-chopped from Trader Joe's) in 1 Tbs. olive oil and 1 cube frozen garlic. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Add in 3-4 jarred artichoke hearts that you have roughly chopped and continue cooking. Turn heat off after a few minutes and add in 3 Tbs. goat cheese. If you don't have goat cheese, you can also use cream cheese or boursin.

While the veggie mixture cools, preheat the oven to 425 and slice 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts almost in half horizontally, being sure not to slice the breast completely in half. It should look like a pouch.

Add 1 tsp. olive oil to coat the bottom of a casserole pan. After stuffing the chicken, add them to the pan.

Smear a little dijon mustard to the outsides of the chicken breasts and add 1-2 Tbs. of the vegetable mixture to the pocket of the chicken. Finally, add a sprinkling of Italian bread crumbs or Panko to the top of the chicken breast. This will give it a nice crunch.

Bake chicken for 18-20 minutes or until the top of the chicken is golden brown.

I served this with quinoa and green beans. My kids had a FIT, and my adventurous eater even started to cry! I made her try a bite which she choked down and I eventually heated up some of the leftover barley soup from the other night.

The adults loved the dinner so I guess it wasn't a total loss!! Give it a try and let me know what your kids think.

2 comments:

eastcoastmom said...

No way our kids would eat this, but I´m sure I will love it!

Anonymous said...

That sounds good. I will have to give it a try!