Thursday, January 22, 2009

Basil and panko crusted Sea Bass


I made a delicious Sea Bass tonight at work and wanted to share the recipe with you.. It's not a 15 minute meal, but is worth the time (still way under 45 minutes)...

2 1/2 pounds of Sea Bass

Make a paste with:
2 cloves chopped garlic (or 2 cubes frozen garlic)
4 cubes frozen basil
1/4 C. olive oil
2 tbs. Dijon mustard
good pinch of kosher salt and pepper
zest from 1 lemon
juice from 1/2 lemon

1 C. panko bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 400. Place the fish in a roasting pan and rub the paste on top of the fish. Add the panko to the top of the paste and gently push the panko down so it adheres to the paste.

Add a little (1/2) c. chicken stock OR white wine (water is fine if you're in a pinch). I also added in 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary to the pan and removed before serving so the fish would have the essence of rosemary.

Roast for 15-20 minutes or until panko has turned a nice golden color.

I served the fish with a simple pasta tossed with fresh peas, garlic slivers and olive oil. I would have added in red pepper flakes, but the kids would have howled!!

The fish is tender and really flavorful. This recipe will probably end up as a future dinner party class.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My husband and I made this last night and loved the aroma and flavor! We had all the ingredients on hand and the recipe pulled together in no time. I am filing it in our favorite recipe folder, and passing it on to family and friends. I guessed at the amount of basil because I don't know the measurement of a "cube." I estimated that a cube equals one teaspoon of chopped fresh basil frozen in ice cube trays. Not sure my assumption was correct, but the flavor was lovely.
Thank you for passing on a wonderful recipe.